Our inspirational team is the beating heart of Alex TLC. Becoming a volunteer is a highly rewarding way to show your support for our charity.
We are always on the lookout for people with skills and experience in retail, office administration, communications and fundraising. You don’t need to have prior experience of working in the charity sector to get involved, just a warm heart and the drive to make a difference.
As a volunteer Retail Assistant, you will play an important role in the smooth running of Alex TLC’s charity shops in south east London.
Who can volunteer at Alex TLC?
Anyone aged 14 or above, who is looking for a new challenge, can volunteer. You must have a desire to learn new skills, want to meet new people and be willing to work as a team. You do not need to have any experience or qualifications as we will train you.
What can Alex TLC offer you?
We believe in supporting volunteers to fulfil their potential and will help you to learn and develop through continuous hands-on training. We will also enable you:
- To acquire transferable skills such as customer services and team-working.
- To improve your numeracy and literacy skills.
- To develop interpersonal and communications skills so that you grow in confidence.
- To enter a new environment, meet new people and make friends. Alex TLC will also pay travel and lunch expenses (your Alex TLC retail manager will give you the details).
What will you be doing?
You will support shop staff to meet Alex TLC’s daily retail target by:
- Using the till to serve customers and by answering queries.
- Preparing and sorting donations for sale – this includes washing bric-a-brac, steaming clothes and carrying out quality control checks on donations.
- Displaying/restocking items for sale and ensuring that the shop window displays are regularly updated.
How to apply?
Please send a CV detailing your experience, contact details and two references and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any queries about volunteering, please telephone 020 7701 4388.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for volunteers, preferably with experience of grant fundraising, to:
- research potential grant making trusts for relevance to our specific objectives
- send applications using existing templates
- update our systems with details of applications
This is a wonderful opportunity to develop your existing skills within a unique arena, learn about the difficulties facing those with rare disease, and give vital and tangible support to sufferers of leukodystrophy. We need help to give hope and support to people affected by leukodystrophy – could you be that help?
Candidates should be able to demonstrate the following:
- an interest in ALD Life and the work that we do
- basic understanding of the complexities of leukodystrophy
- excellent written skills
- excellent computer skills, particularly Microsoft Word and Excel
- excellent organisational and administrative skills
We are flexible and the role can be home based or at our Peckham, London SE15 office.
Anyone aged 14 and over can apply for work experience in one of our charity shops or office team. Please get in touch to apply.
If you’re under 16 you’ll need to ask your parent or guardian to complete a consent form.